Banana Protein Shake Recipe
In this post, you’ll learn how to make a protein shake with bananas. Namely, this delicious banana protein shake made with high quality whey protein, hemp seeds and frozen, ripe banana.
Not only is this easy-recipe healthy, but it tastes just like Banana Cream Pie too! Besides its amazing taste, it’s also my favorite way to increase my daily protein after a hard workout or to use as a healthy breakfast meal replacement.
- Recipe Tastes Just Like Banana Cream Pie
- Recipe Uses High Quality 100% Whey—Vanilla Ice Cream Protein Powder
- Hemp Seeds Are The Superfood You Need To Include In Your Protein Shake Recipes
- Contains Only 340 Calories, 33 Grams Of Protein, 35 Grams Of Carbs and 5 Grams Of Fiber
- Protein Shake & Smoothie E-Guide Below
Banana Protein Shake Ingredients
I’m a simple guy that likes simple ingredients in my shakes. So I choose the freshest ingredients to stay on track with my daily 2000 calorie diet.
Here’s a glimpse of the ingredients: frozen banana, greek yogurt, unsweetened almond milk, whey protein powder and hemp seeds.
- Bananas: I like to use organic produce when it’s available, so I’m using organic Chiquita bananas.
- Greek Yogurt: I typically buy Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt, but any brand will do as long it’s plain, greek yogurt.
- Almond Milk: I use Kirkland Unsweetened Vanilla Flavor Almond Milk from Costco. I prefer the vanilla regardless of the type of shake for the added flavor boost.
- Protein Powder: While I do like protein shakes made with plant-based ingredients too, I’m using whey powder for this recipe—Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor.
- Hemp Seeds: According to Medical News Today, hemp seeds have excellent nutritional value.
Here’s some of these takeaways and amazing benefits from the article “Health Benefits of Hemp Seeds.”
Take a look at this visual courtesy of Hemp Heart.
Here’s the healthy protein shake recipe:
Banana Cream Pie anyone? This recipe combines two of my favorite ingredients—bananas and greek yogurt—and is one of my go-to pre-workout energizers. I even use it as healthy meal replacement shake to meet my daily protein requirements. It's made with high quality Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein. I also use plain greek yogurt for texture and this makes this shake thick and creamy—just the way I like it.
Use this protein shake recipe as a healthy snack, mid-day pick-me-up, meal replacement or as a pre or post workout recovery shake. Try it today!
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder - Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor - 1 Scoop
- Unsweetened Vanilla Flavor Almond Milk - 1 Cup
- Organic Ripe Frozen Banana - 1 Large
- Plain Greek Yogurt - 1/4 Cup
- Hemp Seeds - 1 Tablespoon
- Vanilla Extract - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Cinnamon - Just a pinch (or add more to taste)
- Redi Whip Fat Free - 2 Tablespoons
- Measure and prepare Banana Protein Shake Ingredients.
- Add frozen banana, almond milk, protein powder, greek yogurt, vanilla extract and cinnamon to a blender or electric mixer.
- Blend all ingredients for approximately 30 seconds or until it's completely blended.
- After blending, pour shake into your favorite mason jar, glass or shaker bottle and garnish with a spritz of whipped cream and dash of cinnamon.
Add a touch more vanilla extract for added flavor.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340Carbohydrates: 35gProtein: 33g
Healthy Ingredient Options
While I prefer the ingredients featured in the original recipe listed above, you can mix and match any of the alternative ingredients below. You can also add natural, nut butters for a different flavor profile too. I prefer smooth, creamy natural nut butters, rather than crunchy.
Here’s some alternatives to consider:
- Coconut Milk
- Cashew Milk
- Sweetened Almond Milk
Whey and Vegan Protein Powder
- Whey Protein
- Plant-Based Protein
- Almond Butter
- Cashew Butter
- Peanut Butter
Protein Powder Flavor
- Chocolate Protein Powder
- Chia Seeds
Want More Protein Shake Recipes?
Healthy & Easy Graham Cracker Protein Shake
CLICK HERE To Get The Recipe.
Truly Delicious Oatmeal Cookie Crunch Protein Shake
CLICK HERE To Get The Recipe.
Decadent Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Protein Shake
CLICK HERE To Get The Recipe
Hands down, this is the best banana protein shake recipe! Not only because of its satisfying taste and thick texture, but it’s also perfect when your sweet tooth has a hankering for a healthy treat.
Notably, this recipe is homemade and NOT a preservative-filled RTD (ready-to-drink shake). To clarify, I don’t care for RTD’s, but they work if you’re in a pinch and I’ll use them from time to time. To me, the taste is mediocre at best, and the texture and thickness is always lacking.
But, here’s the thing about homemade protein shake recipes—you know exactly what you’re consuming and its a great way to add extra protein, calories, healthy fats and dietary fiber to your day. You can also adjust the viscosity by adding nut butter or low-fat greek yogurt, as well as add or remove ingredients to meet you daily caloric intake goals.
In short, I believe you’ll really enjoy this delicious banana protein smoothie recipe. So give it a try the next time you need to need a pick-me-up or you’re craving banana cream pie!
Until next time,
Christian Graham—NSCA-CPT, CFSC, FMS2
Functional Strength & Mobility Specialist – @Body360Fit
PS. And remember, you’re just one workout away…
PPS. Did you enjoy this protein shake recipe? If so, please share it with your friends on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.
If you have have any questions or have a recipe to share, please leave it in the comments below. You can also send me a message via the contact form.
- The Ultimate Showdown: Glutamine Vs Creatine
- Delicious & Easy Shamrock Protein Shake Recipe
- Foam Rolling: Upper Back & Shoulders (Tutorial)
- Simple & Healthy Banana Protein Shake Recipe
- How To Improve Shoulder Mobility With Wall Slide Exercises