Estimated reading time: 14 minutes
Best Squat Wedge
When it comes to perfecting your squat form, using the best squat wedge can make all the difference. These slant boards, as they are often referred to, are designed to provide the ideal angle for your feet, allowing for deeper squats, improved ankle mobility, and better overall form.
In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the best squat wedges available on Amazon and online, covering everything from their benefits to alternative uses and exercises. Whether you’re a seasoned lifter or just starting out, integrating a squat wedge into your routine can be a game-changer for your lower body workouts if in fact you suffer ankle mobility restrictions.
Table of contents
- Best Squat Wedge
- Key Takeaways
- Realize Your Full Squat Potential: Discover the Incredible Benefits of Squat Wedges
- Squat Wedges: Unleashing Power and Perfecting Form
- How to Improve Ankle Mobility and Ultimately Squat Depth
- Alternative Squat Wedge Progressions: Fix Hamstring Flexibility with Toe Touch Progressions
- How to Perform the Toe Touch Progression:
- Elevate Your Squats: Innovative Alternatives for Optimal Gains
- Best Squat Wedges Online
- Best Priced Squat Wedges on Amazon
- Rogue Fitness Squat Wedges : My Overall Pick!
- Squat wedges enhance squat depth, clean up ankle mobility restrictions, and overall squat form.
- They are versatile tools that can be used for various exercises beyond squats such as improving hamstring flexibility through toe touch progressions.
- Proper form and alignment are crucial for maximizing the benefits of squat wedges.
- There are alternatives to squat wedges, such as heel lifts and weight plates, which serve a similar purpose.
- Learn about the best squat wedges available online.
Realize Your Full Squat Potential: Discover the Incredible Benefits of Squat Wedges
Squat wedges offer a range of benefits that can greatly enhance your squatting experience. One of the main reasons lifters turn to squat wedges is to achieve a full range of motion. By providing an inclined surface, they enable deeper squats, engaging the quad muscles more effectively; specifically the VMO (Vastus Medialis Oblique).
Additionally, squat wedges aid in improving ankle mobility, which is essential for maintaining proper form throughout the squat movement. This increased mobility not only allows for better depth but also offsets other movement pattern compensations. Moreover, the risk of strain on the lower back due to posterior pelvic tilt is minimized. This is commonly referred to as butt wink.
Squat Wedges: Unleashing Power and Perfecting Form
Time needed: 1 minute
The squat wedge provides a stable base, allowing for a controlled descent and ascent. Notably, it aids in achieving a deep squat by facilitating the necessary ankle flexion. This improved ankle mobility ensures that your knees track properly, your hips don’t posteriorly tilt, and reduces unnecessary strain and movement compensations.
Here’s how to use them:
Using a squat wedge effectively starts with proper form and alignment. Follow the steps below for flawless form.
- Squat Wedge Position
Begin by placing the squat wedge at the appropriate distance from your squat rack or in an open area if you’re using dumbbells or kettlebells in a goblet position.
- Foot Placement
Position your feet on the wedge, ensuring they are shoulder-width apart with toes slightly pointed outward.
- Descent & Ascent
As you descend into your squat, focus on maintaining a wide stance and pushing your knees out over your toes.
Pro TipUsing a mini band just below the knees initiates a cue to drive your knees outward, thereby allowing for more glute activation. My favorite cloth mini bands are the Mark Bell Hip Circles.
How to Improve Ankle Mobility and Ultimately Squat Depth
While squat wedges play a crucial role in enhancing ankle mobility, it’s equally vital to proactively address this aspect for long-term advantages. Incorporate stretching and mobility drills into your routine to focus on ankle flexibility and overall range of motion.
Additionally, foam rolling can be invaluable in “toning down” muscle tissues on a global scale and prompting a beneficial response from the nervous system. Consistent attention to ankle mobility not only complements the use of squat wedges but also contributes to improved squat form, reduced posterior pelvic tilt and depth over time.
Full Body Foam Rolling Drills
Include these foam rolling drills to promote global mobility:
Note that rolling the calves and the soleus will address the tissues that restrict ankle mobility.
- Glutes & Hip Rotators
- TFL & IT Band
- Quads & VMO
- Calves, Soleus and Tibialis Anterior
Include these mobility drills to promote global flexibility and mobility:
- 90/90 Internal Rotation/External Rotation
- Pigeon Stretch
- Quad Stretch
- Supported Hamstring Stretch
- 1/2 Kneeling Adductor Rocks
- Spiderman Stretch
- Ankle Mobility Exercise Drills
Check out the videos below to improve your ankle mobility.
Half Kneeling Ankle PNF
Standing Ankle Mob
These drills target various areas of the body and, when practiced regularly, contribute to enhanced overall mobility, supporting a more effective squatting technique. Remember to incorporate them into your routine for comprehensive benefits before every workout.
Additionally, these foam rolling techniques, global mobility drills and ankle mobility drills can be incorporated after your workouts as a warm-up, as well as part of your cool-down routine.
Alternative Squat Wedge Progressions: Fix Hamstring Flexibility with Toe Touch Progressions
Struggling with limited hamstring flexibility? Alternative squat wedge progressions, particularly toe touch variations, offer an effective solution. By incorporating these progressions into your routine, you can specifically target and improve hamstring flexibility.
This series of movements provides a dynamic approach to enhance the range of motion in your hamstrings, helping you achieve a deeper squat and better overall form. As you progressively work through these toe touch variations, you’ll not only experience increased flexibility but also notice improved strength and stability in your lower body.
How to Perform the Toe Touch Progression:
Below I detail how to progress your toe touch with a simple drill that I’ve used countless times with clients and have seen great improvements.
The first phase of this drill is performed with an Airex pad between the knees with the toes/balls of the feet elevated on a squat wedge. By squeezing the knees against the pad we activate the adductors and engage the core. With the toes elevated we assist the movement pattern.
The second phase of this drill is a progression performed with an Airex pad between the knees with the heels elevated on a squat wedge. In this phase we also utilize the pad to engage the adductors and the core while with the toes elevated we assist the movement pattern. With the heels raised we are resisting this movement pattern thereby moving the client closer to being able to toe touch without assistance.
Here’s how to perform both assisted and resisted variations of the toe touch progression.
1. Begin by placing the balls of the feet on a squat wedge.
2. Place an Airex pad between the knees and squeeze it firmly to engage the adductors and the core.
3. Next, breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth as you simultaneously flex down to your knees pressing your butt back.
Note: If you can’t touch your toes initially, that’s okay. Aim to get as close as possible, but make sure to keep your knees straight until you reach your max depth. At which point, you’ll bend your knees as much as needed to complete the movement pattern.
5. Hold the stretch for 5-10 seconds, feeling the stretch in your hamstrings and return to the top.
6. Perform 1 set of 5-8 reps.
1. Begin by placing the heels of the feet on a squat wedge.
2. Place an Airex pad between the knees and squeeze it firmly to engage the adductors and the core.
3. Next, breAthe in through the nose and out through the mouth as you simultaneously flex down to your knees pressing your butt back.
Note: If you can’t touch your toes initially, that’s okay. Aim to get as close as possible, but make sure to keep your knees straight until you reach your max depth. At this point you’ll bend your knees as much as needed to complete the movement pattern.
4. Hold the stretch for 5-10 seconds, feeling the stretch in your hamstrings and return to the top.
5. Perform 1 set of 5-8 reps.
Check out this short touch touch progression video from Movement as Medicine.
By incorporating these touch drills into your routine, you’ll gradually enhance your hamstring flexibility and achieve a more effective toe touch. Remember to perform them consistently and with proper form to maximize their benefits.
Notably, using a squat wedge plate provides the ideal platform for these exercises, ensuring stability and a controlled range of motion. Although, anything such as a weight plate, or Airex pad will work too. Remember to be patient and perform this movement pattern regularly to significantly improve your toe touch flexibility over time.
Elevate Your Squats: Innovative Alternatives for Optimal Gains
Squat wedges are undoubtedly effective, but there are alternative methods to achieve similar results. Heel lifts and weight plates can be strategically placed under the heels to create a similar inclined surface.
This can be particularly useful for individuals who do not have access to squat wedges or prefer to experiment with different equipment. Furthermore, a rolled up towel or the edge of an airex balance pad can serve as makeshift alternatives, providing a slanted surface for squatting.
Exploring Alternatives to Squat Wedges
In situations where squat wedges aren’t available, there are a variety of effective alternatives to consider. Below you’ll find great alternatives to commercial squat wedges .
Heel Lifts and Weight Plates
- Whether in the form of specialized inserts or weight plates they can be strategically placed under the heels to create an inclined surface.
- Provides a similar effect on ankle mobility and squat depth.
- Ideal for individuals without access to squat wedges or those wanting to explore different equipment options.
Squat Ramps and Blocks:
- Serve as makeshift alternatives, offering a slanted surface for squatting.
- Can be a practical solution for individuals looking to achieve similar results without using traditional squat wedges.
Grip Tape Incline Boards/Slant Boards:
- Grip Tape Incline Boards and Slant Boards are typically used to stretch the calves. These alternatives offer a makeshift inclined surface, although they lack the durability and stability of dedicated squat wedges.
DIY Squat Wedges:
- For those inclined towards a hands-on approach, crafting your own squat wedge using materials like plywood or foam can be a cost-effective alternative.
- While these alternatives can offer a similar effect to squat wedges, it’s essential to choose the option that aligns best with your preferences and ensures safe and effective workouts.
While squat wedges are highly effective tools for enhancing squat form and mobility, these alternatives provide viable options for individuals seeking similar benefits. Whether due to equipment availability or a desire for variation, heel lifts, weight plates, squat ramps, and blocks offer creative solutions to elevate your squat game.
Best Squat Wedges Online
When it comes to enhancing your squat game, having the right equipment can make a world of difference. Among the plethora of options available, some stand out for their exceptional quality, durability, and design.
Here, we’ve curated a list of the absolute best squat wedges available on Amazon and online. These wedges are crafted with precision, providing the support and stability you need to achieve the perfect squat. From heavy-duty steel to high-density foam, each of these options offers unique features that cater to different preferences and body types.
- Rogue Squat Wedges – Crafted from heavy-duty 7-gauge steel, Rogue’s wedges offer exceptional durability. With easy alignment and helpful handles, these wedges are a favorite among lifters seeking top-notch quality.
- Perform Better Heel Lift – This high-quality steel heel lift is perfect for anyone that has a dorsiflexion restriction. They provide excellent support for achieving deeper squats and are a great addition to anyone home gym as well.
- Synergee Squat Wedge – This pair of smaller wedges is ideal for individuals of varying body types. The handle cut-out and non-slip grip tape ensure a secure and comfortable squatting experience.
Best Priced Squat Wedges on Amazon
Building a home gym or expanding your fitness equipment doesn’t have to break the bank. There are highly effective squat wedges available at budget-friendly prices, without compromising on quality or performance. In this section, we’ve rounded up the best priced squat wedges on Amazon, ensuring that you can optimize your squatting experience without exceeding your budget.
- Harder Wil Squat Wedges – Engineered to assist with squats and calf stretching; Harder Will wedges offer precise positioning for optimal results. Perfect for users of all levels.
- Bully Squat Wedges – Featuring a single slant design, these wedges are versatile and suitable for use with Olympic bars, Dumbbells, Kettlebells and resistance bands. They are a great addition to any home gym.
For budget-conscious shoppers, the best-priced squat wedges on Amazon include the LB Plates Squat Wedge, offering a cost-effective solution without compromising on quality.
Rogue Fitness Squat Wedges: My Overall Pick!
Rogue Fitness offers a versatile range of squat wedges and squat boards to suit a variety of squatting preferences and body types. Whether you opt for the individual squat wedge pair or the larger wedge boards that accommodate both feet, you’ll have the flexibility to choose from a range of angle options, ensuring that your squatting experience is tailored to your unique needs. These high-quality wedges are designed with precision and durability in mind, making them a valuable addition to any fitness routine.
Roque Fitness Product Overview
Squat Wedge Pair (8.5″)
- Designed for individual use, providing support and stability for squats.
- Offers a compact size suitable for various body types and squatting preferences.
- Choose from a range of angle options, from 5 to 30 degrees, for a customized squatting experience.
20″ Wedge Board (Accommodates Two Feet)
- Perfect for users who prefer a wider base of support during squats.
- Allows for both feet to be comfortably positioned on the board for enhanced stability.
- Offers a selection of angle options, ranging from 5 to 30 degrees, to meet your specific workout needs.
30″ Wedge Board (Accommodates Two Feet)
- Provides an even wider platform for those seeking maximum stability during squats.
- Allows both feet to rest comfortably on the board, ensuring secure footing.
- Features a variety of angle options, from 5 to 30 degrees, to cater to different training preferences.
Roque Product Highlights:
Material and Durability
- Crafted from heavy-duty 7-gauge steel.
- Known for exceptional durability, ensuring a long-lasting investment.
Ease of Use
- Easy alignment feature for hassle-free setup.
- Includes helpful handles for convenient transport and placement.
- Suitable for various body types and squatting preferences.
- Compatible with Olympic bars and resistance bands.
- Carries the trusted Rogue Fitness name, known for producing high-quality fitness equipment.
- A favorite among serious lifters and professional athletes for its top-notch construction.
Stability and Security
- Provides a stable platform for squatting, minimizing the risk of wobbling or slipping during exercises.
- Ensures secure footing, allowing for proper form and reduced strain on joints.
Rogue Laser Cutout Squat Wedges
- Laser cutouts for an additional layer of precision and attention to detail.
- Enhances the visual aesthetics while maintaining structural integrity.
- Features textured surfaces for improved grip, reducing the likelihood of slipping during workouts.
- Ideal for users who prioritize stability and safety in their exercises.
- Finished with a powder coat for added protection against wear and tear.
- Provides a sleek and professional look that complements any gym setup.
- Designed with the right dimensions to ensure comfortable use for a wide range of individuals.
- Offers ample space for varied foot placements and stances.
Wide Stance Option
- Available with a wide stance design, catering to users who prefer a broader base for their squats.
- Offers additional stability, making it an excellent choice for heavy lifting.
Please note that while Rogue Fitness offers a range of squat wedges, each product is designed to cater to specific preferences and requirements. Consider factors like material, grip, finish, dimensions, and stance options when selecting the best fit for your fitness routine.
In the pursuit of perfecting your squat form, integrating the best squat wedges can be a game-changer. These slant boards offer a range of benefits, from improved ankle mobility & restrictions to achieving deeper squats.
While there are alternatives available, squat wedges provide a convenient and effective solution. Whether you opt for Rogue’s heavy-duty steel or Perform Better’s comfortable foam, investing in a squat wedge can elevate your squat game to new heights.
Explore the options on Amazon and online, and take the first step towards experiencing the many benefits that the best squat wedges have to offer.
Until next time,
Christian Graham—NSCA-CPT, CFSC2, FMS2, KB, VIPR
Functional Strength & Mobility Specialist – @Body360Fit
PS. And remember, you’re just one workout away…
PPS. Did you enjoy reading this article? If so, please share it with your friends on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.
If you have have any questions, please ask in the comments below. You can also send me a message via the contact form.
Glutamine Vs. Creatine
CLICK HERE To Learn About The Benefits of Supplementing Glutamine Vs. Creatine
Wall Slide Exercises Tutorial
CLICK HERE To Learn How To Improve Shoulder Mobility With Wall Slide Exercises
The Kettlebell Halo: A Simple How To Guide
CLICK HERE For more exercises to mobilize and strengthen the shoulders
Foam Rolling: Upper Back & Shoulders (Tutorial)
CLICK HERE To Learn How To Foam Roll Your Upper Back and Shoulders
- Hexing Gains: Mastering the Dumbbell Hex Press for Sculpted Muscles – How To & Benefits Guide
- Flex Beyond the Cable: 16 Dynamic Alternatives for Supreme Bicep Growth
- V-Taper Mastery: Sculpt Your Back with the 7 Best At-Home Lat Workouts Using Dumbbells
- Beyond Fitness: Decoding the Essence of a Body Transformation Coach
- Redefine Your Strength: Mastering Cable Machine Arm Workouts for Sculpted Arms