Benefits of Weighted Push Ups
In the world of bodyweight exercises, the benefits of weighted push ups are undeniable and stands as an underrated gem for those seeking to elevate their strength, muscle development, and overall fitness.
These dynamic pushups are far more than regular push-ups but with a twist. Fitness experts have forever touted that this compound exercise is the pathway to achieving superior results by increasing the intensity of your workout, thereby improving functional strength. I happen to agree.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the many benefits of weighted push ups in your routine, delve into the proper techniques and common mistakes, shed light on the muscles engaged, discuss practical ways to add weight, offer alternative exercises, and provide recommendations for the best-weighted vests available on Amazon.
- Benefits of Weighted Push Ups: This functional strength, bodyweight exercise offers many benefits, including increased muscle engagement, enhanced strength, muscular endurance, and improved core stability.
- How To Do: Perfect form is essential for weighted pushups, with attention to alignment, controlled movements, and breathing.
- Muscled Worked: Weighted pushups primarily target the chest, shoulders, triceps, core, and serratus anterior.
- How To Load This Exercise: Various methods, such as weight plates, sandbag yokes, and weighted vests, can add resistance to weighted pushups.
- Alternatives: A simple guide to the various alternatives of the weighted pushup.
- Best Weight Vests on Amazon: Discover my top recommended vest and explore a diverse range of budget-friendly weighted vests on Amazon, tailored to various workout preferences and financial considerations.
5 Key Benefits of Weighted Push Ups
Weighted push-ups are an excellent functional strength and transformative addition to any fitness routine, offering a spectrum of advantages that extend well beyond traditional bodyweight exercises, including muscle growth.
With an emphasis on enhancing muscle engagement, building upper body strength, and fortifying core stability, these exercises redefine your path to power and functional fitness.
Whether you’re a beginner looking to build a solid foundation or an advanced athlete seeking a challenge, weighted pushups prove their versatility as a potent tool in your fitness arsenal.
1. Unleashing Functional Strength and Muscle Growth
Applying additional resistance through weighted pushups creates a formidable challenge for your muscles. This targeted stress prompts muscle fibers to adapt and grow, increasing upper body strength and muscle mass.
Unlike traditional push-ups, where progression may plateau over time, weighted push-ups allow for continuous growth by simply adding more weight. This compound exercise engages the chest, shoulders, triceps, and upper back, making it a stellar choice for a full-body workout.
2. Placement Matters for Weighted Pushups
Here’s a cool visual regarding the way different load positions impact the weighted pushup exercise brought to you by our friends at Kensui Fitness.
3. Supercharge Your Core Stability and Functional Strength
Weighted pushups demand exceptional core stability to maintain proper form throughout the movement. This engagement of core muscles enhances your ability to perform the exercise effectively and translates into improved functional strength in daily activities. As you master the art of balancing with added resistance, your core becomes a pillar of stability, leading to benefits beyond the confines of your workout routine.
4. Elevate Cardiovascular Health and Caloric Burn
The intensity of a weighted pushup session elevates your heart rate, turning this exercise into a cardiovascular powerhouse. By incorporating weighted pushups into high-intensity interval training (HIIT), you can unlock a potent fusion of strength and cardio. This dual-action approach not only aids in torching calories but also promotes cardiovascular health, making it a versatile addition to any fitness regimen.
5. The Remarkable Versatility of Weighted Pushups
Weighted pushups can be adapted to various fitness levels by adjusting the weight, making them suitable for beginners and advanced athletes. Whether you’re just starting your fitness journey or aiming to take your strength to new heights, this dynamic exercise offers a customizable challenge for everyone. Embrace the adaptability of weighted pushups and watch your progress soar!
Muscles Worked in Weighted Pushups
While weighted pushups might seem straightforward, they engage various muscle groups, making them a fantastic full-body workout. Primarily targeting the chest muscles (pectorals), shoulders (deltoids), and triceps brachii, they efficiently strengthen your upper body.
Additionally, the engagement of core muscles and the activation of the serratus anterior, responsible for scapular movement, add a crucial stabilizing and functional component to this exercise, making it a valuable addition to your fitness routine.
Weighted pushups are a full-body exercise, but they primarily target:
- Chest Muscles (Pectorals): The chest muscles are the primary movers in pushups, and adding weight increases their workload.
- Shoulders (Deltoids): Weighted pushups engage the anterior deltoids, helping to build well-rounded shoulders.
- Triceps Brachii: These muscles are heavily involved in the pushing motion of the weighted pushup.
- Core Muscles: Your core muscles work hard to stabilize your body throughout the exercise.
- Serratus Anterior: This muscle helps in scapular movement and is activated during weighted pushups.
Here’s a visual of the muscles that are targeted in the weighted pushup brought to you by our friends Stacy Russell at alesstoxiclife.com
Types of Push-ups: Adding Weight to Pushups
You can add weight to weighted pushups using various methods:
- Weight Plates: Place weight plates on your upper back, securing them with a backpack or another person.
- Sandbag Yoke: A sandbag yoke worn on your back vertically or horizontally provides a versatile and comfortable way to add weight. The only downside is you need a partner to secure the yoke.
- Resistance Bands: Resistance bands can be placed across the upper back and secured underneath the hands. This is a great option.
- My Top Choice – Weighted Vests: Weighted vests are designed for this purpose and offer an even distribution of weight and a great way to add
Alternatives To Weighted Pushups
For those seeking variety or facing limitations, here are some alternatives to weighted pushups:
- Dips with a Dip Belt: Dips with a weighted dip belt provide an excellent upper-body workout, especially for the triceps and chest.
- Bench Press: A classic gym exercise, the bench press using a barbell or dumbbells allows you to lift heavy weights to target the chest, shoulders, and triceps.
- Pushup Variations: To continually challenge your muscles, explore different pushup variations, such as with a Bosu Ball or feet-elevated pushup variations.
How to Do Weighted Pushups With Proper Form
Time needed: 1 minute
Achieving the full benefits of weighted pushups relies on the correct form:
- Set Up the Weight
Place weight plates, sandbag yoke, or wear a weighted vest, ensuring it’s secure.
- Assume Proper Pushup Position
Get into a high plank position with your hands shoulder-width apart.
- Hands and Externally Rotated Arms Position
Your hands should be screwed into the floor with your arms maintaining a 45-degree angle. Note: Think screwing on a jar cap. This technique is an excellent way to activate your back muscles and place you in the perfect position to perform this exercise.
- Maintain Proper Alignment
Keep your body straight from head to heels and engage your deep core and abdominal muscles. There should be no lag in the lower back.
- Lower Your Body
Lower yourself until your chest touches the ground or comes close to it.
- Push Back Up
Sharply exhale as you push your body back up to the starting position, fully extending your arms.
Perform the desired number of reps, focusing on slow, controlled movements.
4 Common Weighted Push-Up Mistakes
Push-ups are a great way to build muscle mass and upper body strength. However, it is crucial to do them correctly to avoid injury. Here are five common push-up mistakes that you should avoid:
- Not Keeping Your Core Engaged: Your core muscles help stabilize your body and align you during a push-up. If your core is not engaged, you are more likely to sag your back or let your hips rise, which can lead to injury. Make sure to incorporate proper breathing technique throughout the movement. This can be performed by breathing in through your nose and breathing sharply out through your mouth as you push away from the the floor.
- Letting Your Back Sag: A sagging back stresses your spine and can lead to pain and injury. To avoid this, keep your core engaged and your back in a straight line throughout movement.
- Letting Your Hips Rise. Keep your hips down and your body straight from your head to your heels.
- Not Going Through Full Range Of Motion: Work through a full range of motion to get the full benefit of a weighted push-up.
- Use A Mirror or Take A Video: Use a mirror or take a video to check your form if you need clarification on whether you are doing your push-ups correctly. This will help you identify and correct any mistakes you are making.
The Best Weight Vests for Elevated Performance & Fitness on Amazon
GO RUCK – Training Weight Vest 2.0 (MY OVERALL PICK)
- Enhanced Comfort: Designed with padded shoulder straps, the vest ensures maximum comfort even during intense workouts, preventing any discomfort or digging.
- Customized Fit: The contoured straps, derived from the renowned Rucker model, provide an ergonomic fit, making it the ultimate Training Weight Vest.
- Skin-Friendly Design: Crafted for comfort against the skin, this vest allows for comfortable wear, even without a shirt.
- Versatile Load Capacity: Compatible with Ruck Plates up to 2x 30 LBS and other training plates, the vest offers versatility in adjusting weight according to your training goals.
- Stable Performance: The vest guarantees stability, maintaining its weight distribution even during high-intensity activities like sprinting, ensuring a consistent and effective workout experience.
- Adjustable weight range from 12 lbs to a whopping 140 lbs.
- Secure and comfortable fit, thanks to its adjustable straps and Velcro closures.
- Ideal for both beginners and advanced users seeking heavy resistance.
- Available in multiple weight options, including 4 lbs, 6 lbs, 12 lbs, and 20 lbs.
- Designed with a sleek, contoured fit for comfort during workouts.
- Perfect for use during cardio or strength training.
- Adjustable weight options of 12 lbs and 20 lbs to accommodate varying fitness levels.
- Made with breathable and sweat-wicking material for comfort during intense workouts.
- Features a convenient phone pocket and reflective stripes for safety during outdoor activities.
- Comes in multiple weight options, with maximum weights ranging from 40 lbs to 150 lbs.
- Equipped with adjustable straps and secure buckles for a customizable fit.
- Ideal for those seeking a durable and heavy-duty weighted vest.
Empower Weighted Vest for Women (TOP PICK!)
- Specially designed for women with a contoured shape and comfortable fit.
- Available in weight options of 4 lbs and 8 lbs.
- Great for a wide range of activities from hiking and running to yoga and strength training.
Best Priced Weight Vests on Amazon:
Aduro Sport Weighted Vest – $34.99 – $99.99
- Offers affordable weighted vest options, making it accessible for various budgets.
- Available in multiple weight choices, including 4 lbs, 6 lbs, 12 lbs, and 20 lbs.
- Provides excellent value for the price.
JBM Weighted Vest – $36.99
- Offers cost-effective options for those looking to add resistance to their workouts without breaking the bank.
- Available in 12 lbs.
- Designed for durability and comfort during exercise.
RUNmax Pro Weighted Vest – $79.99
- Provides a range of budget-friendly options for individuals seeking affordability and quality.
- Available in weights ranging from 12 lbs to 60 lbs.
- Features a secure and adjustable design for a comfortable fit.
Henkelion Weighted Vest – $27.99
- Offers reasonably priced weighted vests suitable for different fitness levels.
- Available in 4 lbs, 12 lbs, and 20 lbs weight options.
- Designed with a focus on comfort and versatility.
RitFit Adjustable Weighted Vest – $45.99
- Provides cost-effective weighted vest choices without compromising on quality.
- Available in various weight options, including 8 lbs, 12 lbs, and 20 lbs.
- Designed to withstand intense workouts while offering a snug fit.
This article showcases the benefits of weighted push ups, rightfully earning their status as a pinnacle of power and efficiency in achieving supreme upper-body strength and endurance.
Moreover, integrating weighted pushups into your regimen can be a game-changer, fostering heightened upper-body strength, muscular growth, and overall physical prowess.
Embrace this dynamic exercise and its exceptional benefits, and with proper form and equipment, you’ll undoubtedly unlock its full potential, elevating your pushup performance to new heights.
Until next time,
Christian Graham—NSCA-CPT, CFSC2, FMS2, KB, VIPR
Functional Strength & Mobility Specialist – @Body360Fit
PS. And remember, you’re just one workout away…
PPS. Did you enjoy reading the “Benefits of Weighted Push Ups”? If so, please share it with your friends on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.
If you have have any questions, please ask in the comments below. You can also send me a message via the contact form.
Glutamine Vs. Creatine
CLICK HERE To Learn About The Benefits of Supplementing Glutamine Vs. Creatine
Wall Slide Exercises Tutorial
CLICK HERE To Learn How To Improve Shoulder Mobility With Wall Slide Exercises
The Kettlebell Halo: A Simple How To Guide
CLICK HERE For more exercises to mobilize and strengthen the shoulders
Foam Rolling: Upper Back & Shoulders (Tutorial)
CLICK HERE To Learn How To Foam Roll Your Upper Back and Shoulders
- Hexing Gains: Mastering the Dumbbell Hex Press for Sculpted Muscles – How To & Benefits Guide
- Flex Beyond the Cable: 16 Dynamic Alternatives for Supreme Bicep Growth
- V-Taper Mastery: Sculpt Your Back with the 7 Best At-Home Lat Workouts Using Dumbbells
- Beyond Fitness: Decoding the Essence of a Body Transformation Coach
- Redefine Your Strength: Mastering Cable Machine Arm Workouts for Sculpted Arms