Leg and Shoulder Workout
This routine will target your legs and shoulders simultaneously. It’s an effective way to build strength and muscle mass while burning fat.
While a split routine that targets individual body parts can be a great way to train, I prefer to raise the bar with a different type of training routine whereby the focus is on dynamic, compound moves that target major muscle groups of your body simultaneously, such as the Leg and Shoulder Workout in this article.
As a matter of fact, not only will this workout push your muscular and cardiovascular endurance, but it will also reduce total workout time by combining the largest muscles with smaller muscles into one simple routine.
- Home or Gym Equipment Needed: This routine can be completed in the gym or at home and only requires a set of dumbbells, a light kettlebell, mini-bands, a resistance band (superband) and a step.
- Caution: This workout is challenging and not for the weary. Suffice to say, these exercise combinations are complex and require increased energy levels per rep, per set and per workout.
- Workout Practice & Refinement: While it’s notable that this routine is great for saving time, increasing heart rate, improving workout efficiency and challenging your physical limits, it takes time to perfect and refine these combinations and will require an intermediate to advanced skill set.
- Workout PDF: CLICK HERE to Review the Workout Instantly!
Muscles Worked In This Routine
Although the muscles worked throughout this whole body routine are wide and varied, I’d rather not complicate this article with an in-depth anatomy lesson. However, I do think it’s helpful to understand what these muscles are and where they’re located. So let’s take a quick look.
Main Muscles of the Shoulders (Deltoid Muscles)
- Front Delts (Anterior Delts)
- Middle Delts (Medial Delts)
- Rear Delts (Posterior Delts)
Rotator Cuff Muscles and What Actions They Perform
- Supraspinatus – Responsible for elevating the shoulder joint to the side.
- Infraspinatus – Responsible for externally rotating the shoulder joint.
- Teres Minor – Responsible for externally rotating the shoulder joint.
- Subscapularis – Allows humerus to move freely during elevation of the arm.
 According to Laura Inverarity, author of The Anatomy of the Rotator Cuff” these small but very important muscles perform a variety of actions. Let’s take a quick look at what muscles do.
Main Muscles of the Legs
- Vastus Lateralis
- Vastus Medialis
- Vastus Intermedius
- Rectus Femoris
- Biceps Femoris
The Ultimate Leg and Shoulder Workout [Gym or Home]
All things considered, this is one of my favorite circuit training combination workouts which utilizes short rest periods to keep your heart rate elevated and muscles challenged without the need for big and bulky gym equipment like the leg press.
- Workout Type: Full Body Workout, Legs and Shoulders, Muscular Endurance
- Equipment: Pair of Dumbbells, Light Kettlebell, Step, Superband, Mini-Bands
- Frequency: 1 time per week
- Sets: 3
- Experience Level: Intermediate
- Repetitions: 15
- Sequence: First, perform 2 sets of “the warm-up” in sequence. Next, perform each exercise in “the workout” sequentially for 3 sets. Finally, complete 3 sets of “the leg finisher with mini bands.”
- Circuit Rest Intervals: Rest 30-60 seconds between each set.
|Legs & Shoulders Exercises||Sets||Reps|
|Superband Squat with Overhead Pull-Apart||2||10|
|Superband External Rotation||2||10|
|Squat with Overhead Shoulder Dumbbell Presses||3||15|
|Step-up with Lateral Raises||3||15|
|Reverse Lunge with Front Raise||3||15|
|Romanian Dead Lifts (RDL) with Reverse Fly (use lighter dumbbells)||3||15|
|The Leg Finisher with Mini-Bands|
|Banded Lateral Walk||3||15|
|Banded Monster Walk||3||15|
|Banded Glute Bridge||3||15|
|Banded Glute Bridge with Clamshell||3||15|
|* Consult a physician before beginning any exercise program.|
By and large, this legs and shoulders workout includes some of the best exercises for muscle growth with the added benefit of cardiovascular exercise too. As a result you can build strong shoulders, rock solid legs and increase cardio output in half the time just by combining these upper body and lower body strength exercises into one day. Not only that but it also allows more off-days for muscle recovery which is just as important as the workout itself.
Let me reinforce one point—this workout is designed for intermediate level participants. While your still learning and refining the exercises, take the time to focus on proper form with light to moderate weight rather than heavier weights at maximum intensity. Given these points and suggestions I believe this routine will become one of your favorites too.
In closing, I hope you, the readers of all Body360 Fit how-to guides, articles and tutorials, will find inspiration from this workout and perhaps even create your own combination routine someday too!
Until next time,
Fitness Guy @Body360Fit
PS. Did you enjoy reading this workout article? If so, please share it with your friends on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.
PPS. If you have have any questions, please leave them in the comments below or send me a message via the contact form.
Complete Full Body Kettlebell Workout Guide [Workout Videos + PDF]
CLICK HERE To Read The Full Article and Get The Workout PDF.
Kettlebell Training Benefits [Plus Simple KB Routine PDF]
CLICK HERE To Learn All Of The Benefits and Get The Workout.
1. “The Anatomy of the Rotator Cuff” – Very Well Health, March 21, 2020, https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-rotator-cuff-2696385
- Delicious & Easy Shamrock Protein Shake Recipe
- Foam Rolling: Upper Back & Shoulders (Tutorial)
- Simple & Healthy Banana Protein Shake Recipe
- How To Improve Shoulder Mobility With Wall Slide Exercises
- Decadent Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Protein Shake Recipe
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS POST, GET UPDATES. IT'S FREE.
Just enter your name & email & you're in!